Sunday, November 2, 2008

New Books

There are a lot of books out there that I'm dying to have the time to read.

Of new note, I've read great things about 'Bakewise' by Shirley O. Corriher. It's a baking related addendum to her older publication, 'Cookwise', which I've not read either but have heard great reviews on.

And then there's my renewed interest in Christine Ferber. She's got two books out that I'm particularly interested in- the first is for her preserves, the second is a book on tarts.

In the case of Christine Ferber and her magnificent preserves, I've cooked from other peoples copies of them, but need to get my own and get busy experimenting with them again.
I'm probably less inclined to make preserves at home, since I've had standing plans with someone at work to make them for the past two summers and haven't done it yet. My kitchen is too small, and I've never canned before (which, to the uninitiated, is quite daunting). But tarts are a thing of glory to me- I dream about making them, I love their complicated, multi-step processes, and would be lying if I said I didn't love how impressive they look when done correctly.

Then there is also 'A Platter of Figs' by David Tanis. Just hearing his biography makes me want to jump into reading this book, in hopes that via osmosis my life will become vastly more interesting (part time head chef at Chez Panisse, part time resident of Paris who runs an occasional supper club). He's got a good bit of recipes for duck in there, which is always a good thing.

I'm still looking for a good, comprehensive book on olives....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there,
I found your blog while perusing the MI lady bloggers network... I'm also a local food blogger and avid reader of food-related books.

Check out "Olives: the Life and Lore of a Noble Fruit" by Mort Rosenblum. He also wrote a good book called "A Goose in Toulouse".

cheers,
Noƫlle

Cynthia said...

Hi - welcome to MLFB...check out my blog at motherskitchen.blogspot.com. I can help you get over your fear of home canning. It's not as hard as it may seem. Next summer, maybe our whole group can get together and can something.